Wednesday, October 7

Ice in my veins....

I love hockey. We have been Carolina Hurricane season ticket holders for many years now, including the Stanley Cup season, which was just an awesome season to say the least. I love the speed of the game, I love the aggressiveness of it and yes, I LOVE the fights. My favorite player on the team is usually the guy who's not afraid to drop his gloves and go at it! They're usually not the highest scorers or the best puck handlers but they are equally important to the success of your team. They are the enforcers and keep the opposing players accountable. My husband, who is a hockey purist, gets on me about liking the fights because 'someone sitting in the penalty box doesn't help the team, you get can scored on when you're a man short'......pfffft.....whatever!!

My first favorite fighter for the 'Canes was Jesse Boulerice. Man was he nasty. He did score a few for us, but he was known for his fists. Jesse would fight at the drop of a hat. You could just skate by Jesse and he'd come after you. Needless to say he spent a lot of time in the penalty box. In the '02-'03 season with the 'Canes, he spent 127 minutes in the penalty box, which for Jesse is actually not alot! I loved him. He was such a brute. We traded Jesse back in 2007. I was bummed to see him go, but we got Doug Weight in exchange and that was a very good thing.

So this summer, the Canes acquired this new guy by the name of Andrew Alberts. He's #41 and he is BIG! He's 6'5", 220lbs and....yep...a tough guy. He can play, too! He's fast, he handles the puck really well and can get it into the net. He's the whole package. He's not a crazy guy, where he's just lookin' for a fight just to be fighting, but he is not afraid of hitting and pounding, for sure. We played Philadelphia the other night and he boarded a Flyer so hard I thought the guy was gonna shatter into a dozen pieces. It took the guy a few seconds to regain his senses so you know he felt that the next morning. Ohhhhhhh, Alberts is just awesome to watch.

Congrats to my 'Canes for getting their first win last night too against Tampa Bay--Woooohooo! It was a shootout win, which I love watching, but don't get my husband started on those either...
Tim Conboy demonstrating last night how NOT to fight successfully...

2 comments:

  1. I have no problem with fights, when they are for the right reasons (defending your top line player from a cheap shot, or getting the crowd up to help the home team). I just don't like goons that can't play and can only fight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh when Sal told me the game went into a shootout. I said "Well, Morgan was happy!" and he just kind of chuckled and rolled his eyes. I will always think of you when I hear fights and shootouts. Sounds a bit like the old wild west, doesn't it? ha!!! :)

    ReplyDelete