Tuesday, September 1

Buzzin' about honey.....


September is National Honey Month. I love honey...I mean I reaaaaaallly love honey. I love how it tastes, I love how it looks, I love how it pours, I love to cook with it, I love the little bees that make it and how it looks in the comb. It is one of the most natural, gorgeous-looking foods that is soooo good for you, as is. Honey is a natural builder for your immune system as well as a natural, home remedy for lots of ailments! And let's be totally honest--it was honey that made the 9 1/2 weeks movie famous--everyone remembers the honey!

Honey is a natural sugar that absorbs super-fast into your bloodstream, unlike processed sugars. It is also a great natural sweetener in your tea or coffee or yogurt. If you work out, a spoonful of honey before you head out will give you enormous energy to go that extra mile. If you lose your energy at the end of the day, instead of having one of those processed sugar-filled energy drinks, spread a little honey on a piece of wheat toast and you will get that same boost, but naturally. If your kids have a particularly long day at school coming up or big tests in their future, make sure for lunch that day you pack a peanut butter and honey sandwich. That little boost of 'honey-love' will give them that little extra punch to get through the day with lots of energy!

You've probably heard a lot about our honeybee population dying out and the dangers that could cause. My daughter, my little nature lover and protector of the world, was explaining this to me some time ago, so I looked it up. According to the Dept. of Agriculture, "honeybees pollinate 80% of our flowering crops which constitute 1/3 of everything we eat. Their loss could effect not only dietary staples such as apples, broccoli, strawberries, nuts, asparagus, blueberries and cucumbers, but may threaten our beef and dairy industries if alfalfa is not available for feed." So protect those little honeybees!

Love your honey--the human one in your life and the one that is the golden elixir that is soooo good for you....

...isn't that gorgeous?

1 comment:

  1. OK... so you've made me want to photograph honey!! That may be a project for me! lol Honey is great... just didn't realize how much brain cell help I was giving Wesley and Mikayla in their lunches with peanut butter and honey sandwiches. lol :)

    ReplyDelete