Wednesday, August 26

A thousand shades of green.....


It was one year ago this week that I was in Ireland. It was a gift to myself, a reward for having reached my weight loss goal previously in the year. It was my first trip abroad and given the whole world to pick from, Ireland was the first place I wanted to see.

Ireland is stunningly beautiful. It’s is rustic and old-world. It is soooo green and very stoney. It is magical and steeped in history. It is kind and deeply religious. And it still, thinking about it a lot this week, takes my breath away. I finally sat down earlier this year and scrapbooked about my trip, which gave me a chance to go through all my pictures and memories once more. I’m so glad I did that. Those little things, people I met, food I ate, things I saw and felt that I had forgotten about, that are now chronicled for me in that album. This is me at the Cliff of Moher. Yes, it was a very windy day!!! *sigh*

Do yourself the favor--pick that one place you dream of seeing and go--sometime. It may take you years to save up and then more to pay it off, but those memories, those stories, those feelings will last you a lifetime.

“I close my eyes and picture the emerald of the sea
From the fishing boats at Dingle to the shores of Donaghadee
I miss the river Shannon and the folks at Skibbereen
The midlands and the moorlands with their forty shades of green
Again I want to see and do the things we've done and seen
Where the breeze is sweet as Shalimar and there's forty shades of green”

~Johnny Cash "Forty Shades of Green"

No comments:

Post a Comment