Friday, January 1

Soups On!


Happy New Year, btw! We went to see the Carolina Hurricanes lose to the NY Rangers last night then scooted over to a friends house for the final hour of 2009. We got home around 12:30 this morning and everyone crashed--except me. I was wide awake, so I trolled the internet for a little while and then found the hour-long finale' of Sex and the City on TBS and watched it. Not getting to sleep til 2:30 could explain why I didn't wake til 11:30 this morning. But I have nothing going on today, so it felt good.

New Years Day for me always means soup. Maybe it's the cold, overcast day that January 1st usually is here. I think wanting to eat something light after a couple of weeks of eating really bad-for-me foods from Christmas through New Years has something to do with it too! It's my way of 'lightening' up before launching into my yearly New Years' resolution of eating clean. My holiday eating--ok, since Halloween if I am being honest--has packed on an extra 20 lbs that need to come off this time around too! After having lost 140 lbs a couple of years ago though, 20 will be a piece of cake....so to speak.

So on the stove right now are smoked ham hocks steeping in chicken broth awaiting the addition of a bucket load of veggies and some black beans that are soaking too. Black Bean Soup is what it will eventually be. I had hoped for Split Pea until I realized I had no Split Peas in my pantry. I'm borrowing some spice ideas from Emeril Lagasse from his recipe that adds an interesting tropical feel to it. This time around, I'll add a little cumin, jalapenos, cinnamon and ginger for a little different kick--Emeril style! I keep mine a little more brothy than creamy to keep it lighter and not as heavy feeling. After sitting on the stove all afternoon to meld, it's dig in time. Yummmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment