Sunday, January 24

Framing George.....

Six months ago I started up my bakery here in NC. The re-building of my business after moving here from California has moved along pretty fast. The holidays worked in my favor, as lots of folks were going to parties and giving gifts, so lots of bread, cookie, dessert platter orders poured in in December. But from the get go, it's been all word-of-mouth and the words have been great! One of those dessert platters I hand delivered (I don't normally do delivery) to the owner of a local coffee shop. The platter was ordered by a customer who wanted to say thanks to their favorite coffee shop and its' baristas. I knew this was an introduction I couldn't pass up. I'm glad I didn't...that dessert platter ended up being a great investment into my future.

Last week I made my first delivery of scones and biscotti to this same coffee shop and they are now selling my baked goods! To eventually supply my baked goods to eateries or coffee shops nationwide is the eventual goal. This is the start. This is an independent coffee bar, not a chain, so the owner started cautiously--only 1 dozen to start with. After the first day of having my scones in the store, she ordered another dozen and said the clients went crazy for them. Yay! Today, one week later, she is now ordering 2 dozen scones and a dozen of my gourmet pretzels twice a week. We're getting there!

So last week I deposited my first check as a wholesale bakery.....for $31.00! It may not sound like a lot, but it represents a lot to me. I know that that day will come when I will reminisce about my baking empire and will say "Hey, it all started by supplying a couple dozen scones to that little coffee bar in NC....and I still deliver to them to this day." Yep, I see it!

Oh yeah....I only deposited $30 and got 1 dollar back in cash. Can't launch your business without that symbolic framed 1 dollar bill. George may not be smiling much, but I sure am!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I wish you lots of Good Luck with your bakery in NC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is AWESOME, Morgan! :) I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete