Thursday, December 17

Near miss....


I went to a cookie exchange tonight in my old neighborhood. I love that they still invite me, as it is for those who still live on the street.....it makes me feel good that they still consider me part of the group. Driving back home became a heart racing adventure though, as I almost hit a deer. We live a little further out in the country than we used to, so we have alot more wildlife to encounter on our roads out here. I don't know if our new surroundings are the reason why, but I have seen so many more deer on the side of the road who didn't make it across the road than any year before. Everyday I must pass by 3-5 that perished the night before. Well tonight I almost added to that number.

As I traveled down the dark, twisty two lane road that leads to our subdivision, I saw what I thought was a dog all of a sudden running along side my SUV. As soon as I put my foot on the brake to slow, the deer darted out right in front of me. I stood up on the brake, tires a-squealin', SUV going a little sideways and barely missed that little doe by a couple of inches. All of a sudden I realized why I see so many on the side of the road dead....they're not the brightest animals in the kingdom are they? Why would you dart out in front of the car instead of back into the yard you were just grazing in? As much as my heart was pounding as I watched her scamper off into the woods, I can imagine hers was beating probably faster! I hope she stays in the woods tonight and off the roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment