Tuesday, November 4

Law and Order...


I have been serving jury duty since Monday. Well, not duty yet. I thought when I reported Monday, I would get assigned a simple civil case that would be done in an afternoon and I’d be back at work Tuesday. Not so! I was put into a pool of over 100 potential jurors for a criminal trial that, once the jury is in place, could last a couple of weeks. It’s a big case and that’s all I can say to you right now, as per the judge. For the past 2 days, I have sat in a big courtroom and observed the jury selection process. Now, this is my first time being called for jury duty. After all the years I’ve been a registered voter, I’ve never been summoned! And my first time, could be a biggie! How exciting!! Now, most everyone I know asked “Why didn’t you get out of it?” First of all, I don’t have one of the ‘legal’ excuses that gets you out of jury duty, and I wasn’t gonna lie. Second of all, I was soooooo dang curious about the whole process and how it happens. Third of all—I kinda felt an obligation as a registered voter and as an American to go do another one of my privileges of living in this country! Do you know how many people would die…..well, actually DO die…..to have this ability? To actually get a day in court much less a verdict from a fair and impartial jury is unheard of in most countries around this globe. Pretty heady experience if you ask me! I’m also very lucky to work for a company that will continue to pay me while I do my jury time, too!! Thanks to them for that…..

So as of right now, most of the original 110 have been excused from the jury booth for one reason or another. Something in their past or they know someone or maybe they just didn’t have the right reaction to something that was asked. All those things and more come into play when the prosecutor and the defense attorney’s are both trying to find “The Perfect 12” (plus 8 alternates). I’m in a very small group of possible jurors now, so I’m thinking my day in ‘the box’ will be tomorrow. If I’m back on the air Thursday or Friday, you’ll know I got bounced too. If I do make it---COOL and what great stories (after the verdict) I’ll have for the show!! If not---what a great experience this has been……it's been like my own personal version of Law & Order!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment