Tuesday, November 9

Leaf Peeping....


This year is the 75th Anniversary of the opening of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The weekend before Halloween, I hopped in the Jeep with my brother and his girlfriend and off we went to look at the Fall colors. We were, what the locals call, 'leaf peepers' for the day. The higher elevations had already peaked but mid and lower levels still had lots of color in 'em. It was a picture-perfect day, as you'll see. You'll also see that there is a reason it is called America's Favorite Drive...


The very first shot when we first pulled onto the Parkway....


Our first stop was the Folk Art Museum. I loved these handmade Cornhusk Dolls. I snapped this shot before I saw the "please, no photos" sign...oops.


At one of the many gorgeous overlooks....


I don't remember where this was, but the photo looks like it was taken at twilight even though it was the middle of the day. Very haunting shot....


Craggy Gardens Overlook


There are 26 of these 'thru the mountain' tunnels along the Parkway...


These split-rail fences are everywhere along the Parkway and they are just beautiful...


Atop Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak of the Appalachian Mountains and the
highest peak in the Eastern US....


We sat on the front bumper of my Jeep here and ate lunch.
A meal with a view indeed!


Walking the trail toward Linville Falls....


I couldn't get a shot of the Falls because of the massive amount of people around, so I brought this one over from the Linville Falls website. Thanks!

Looking back at Grandfather Mountain....


The final shot before getting off the BRP and heading home....


Oh! The mystery of it all,
Of nature's colors in the Fall.
Displayed for us to revel in;
And touch the soul that lies within.

~Jeffry Tank~







1 comment:

  1. I AM SO JEALOUS. We wanted to get up there so badly before the leaves fell off. Beautiful... so glad you could go enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete