Wednesday, May 13

18 again....

…..this was a writing I found in my internet travels today. How appropriate for all of us whether you have a child graduating or not. Thank you Joel Burke for letting me share this…….

I Wish I Was 18 Again!

It’s been one year now since I suffered and celebrated one of the best and worst days of my life. That was the day that my little girl graduated from high school. I was proud of her achievement yet wished I had spent more time pushing her on the swing or chasing her around the playground while she screamed with laughter.

The past 12 months have flown by and a lot has changed. It’s now a lot quieter around our house and my daughter has tasted the real world. That taste for her has been a bitter pill to swallow.

My daughter recently said to me, “I never knew how tough life would be and never knew how weak I would be.” All of us said made the exact same comment at some point after living in the real world for a while. In fact, all of us have also said, “I hate being a grown-up!” However, the only way we become stronger and grow our faith in God is to go through the tough times. Otherwise, we just remain weak and end up going whichever the wind blows.

No, I don’t wish I was 18! I sure don’t want to start climbing the mountain all over again. However, I do hope that all of us will capture or recapture three qualities that all of us had when we were 18.

OPTIMISTIC- when we are 18, our optimism is sky high! We are anxious and even impatient to prove to the world that we can make it! That positive attitude is so strong that we even end up annoying others around us.

OPPORTUNISTIC- when we are 18, we are opportunistic. We are willing to take any opportunity no matter how little to prove that we have what it takes. In fact, we would do it for free!

INVINCIBLE- when we are 18, we are invincible. Nothing or nobody is going to get in the way! In fact, nothing is impossible. We are ready to conquer any mountain no matter how high!

Have you lost one or all of these qualities? If you have, pick each one up off the ground like a rock and hold on to it! Don’t let anyone or anything take it away again!
How would you want to shape or define your life from this point forward? Will it be “As Good As I Once Was,” or “The Best Is Yet To Come?” It’s your choice! It’s just a matter of how bad do want it! So, how bad do you?

I loved, loved, loved this writing! Let's all be like we're 18 again....only smarter and wiser!!!

For those of you graduating....congratulations!!!! Welcome to the next, exciting chapter of your life! If you're a parent of a graduate---here's some extra tissues.....and actually....welcome to the next, exciting chapter of your life too! = )

No comments:

Post a Comment